What electronics MAGAZINES are good?

Started by AINTME September 13, 2007
I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.

What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks.
Circuit Cellar is fantastic for embedded stuff: http://www.circuitcellar.com/ The online PDF version is very good value for money. If you are into hobby level stuff then there is Silicon Chip from Australia: http://www.siliconchip.com.au/ Dave.
AINTME (AINTME@home.com) writes:
> I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. > > What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? > > Thanks.
It's more like "what electronic magazines exist today?" SOmeone mentioned Circuit Cellar, but it's a far cry from Popular Electronics. It's more focused on microprocessors and I've never found it interesting enough to want to buy many issues. It just seems less "hobby" than what I'd want. The other US magazine that still exists is Nuts & Volts. And there's now a quarterly from O'Reilly (that publishes all kinds of computer books) called "Make" that is sort of a hobby electronic magazine, but it seems more than just electronics. With so few, you should just go to a newsstand, maybe at this point you may have to hunt for them, and look them over or buy a copy of each. You won't lose much by buying a sample copy, and really, I suspect "good" is a reflection of what you yourself is looking for. When I was a kid, I bought all the magazines, at least initially, though that's when they were fifty cents an issue. I barely buy any magazines these days, the cost has gone so far up and the content you get is limited. After that, you have to look overseas for electronic magazines. Elektor, Practical Everyday Electronics I no longer know what else. I've not seen a copy of the magazine that used to be Wireless World (I can never remember the exact title it changed itself to) in a long time. I'm assuming they still publish, but just aren't carried here. Michael

Are you familiar with Elektor ? http://www.elektor.com/magazines.46742.lynkx Graham
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AINTME@home.com> wrote:

>I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. > >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? > >Thanks.
Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN, Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave Journal. All free. John
Wow... thanks! I just subscribed. (I actually do have a side business: www.acomputerexpert.com). I happened to be in the bookstore last night, getting some space/ planet books for the kids, when I thought, maybe I'll look for Circuit Cellar... this particular Borders Bookstore doesn't carry CC, but has Make. Was looking through it, I couldn't find anything that justified the $14.99 price tag (potato and pumpkin missile launchers don't cut it, sorry). There was a nifty little diy EKG project, but the article mentioned the ADC it needs costs about $50... never mind... Michael
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:33:35 -0000, mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:

>On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin ><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote: >> >I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. >> >> >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? >> >> >Thanks. >> >> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN, >> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave >> Journal. All free. >> >> John > > >Wow, you were not kidding! > >http://www.edn.com/jumplink.asp?target=http://www.reed4success.com/default.asp?magid2&promocode=WEA07DW2&sponsor=r4s+EDN > >Free, forever? Or is it a trial subscription?
They'll make you renew annually, by email, which takes about a minute, but otherwise free forever. There are lots more, hundreds maybe, but these are the main electronics ones. There are some software-oriented mags too, RTC and Embedded Systems and such. EE Times is great, but more biz than technology. I don't recall if that's free, too. John
John Larkin <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:33:35 -0000, mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote: > >>On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin >><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote: >>> >I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. >>> >>> >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? >>> >>> >Thanks. >>> >>> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN, >>> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave >>> Journal. All free. >>> >>> John >> >> >>Wow, you were not kidding! >> >>http://www.edn.com/jumplink.asp?target=http://www.reed4success.com/defa >>ult.asp?magid2&promocode=WEA07DW2&sponsor=r4s+EDN >> >>Free, forever? Or is it a trial subscription? > > They'll make you renew annually, by email, which takes about a minute, > but otherwise free forever. > > There are lots more, hundreds maybe, but these are the main > electronics ones. There are some software-oriented mags too, RTC and > Embedded Systems and such. > > EE Times is great, but more biz than technology. I don't recall if > that's free, too. > > John > >
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Just as I imagined, there are few "hobby electronics" magazines available as such (the kind with projects, etc) but as I get reacquainted with electronics I am discovering programs such as Mutltisim and some PCB design tools (anybody recommend any?) that I never got to use way back when. There'll be plenty to keep me occupied. Thanks.
On Sep 14, 12:28 am, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
> AINTME (AIN...@home.com) writes: > > I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. > > > What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? > > > Thanks. > > It's more like "what electronic magazines exist today?" > > SOmeone mentioned Circuit Cellar, but it's a far cry from Popular > Electronics. It's more focused on microprocessors and I've never > found it interesting enough to want to buy many issues. It just > seems less "hobby" than what I'd want.
Correct, Circuit Cellar is more of a professional level journal targeting embedded designers. it's not really a hobby mag. Dave.
jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com (John Larkin) wrote in
<mqbre3p680ss4149oe3ddn3iivcuj4ncfv@4ax.com>:

>On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 03:37:58 GMT, AINTME <AINTME@home.com> wrote: > >>John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in >>news:knkke3df0j8fr1100fn856dlmcqdi7rq7i@4ax.com: >> >>> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:12:07 +0100, Eeyore >>> <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote: >>> >>>> >>>> >>>>John Larkin wrote: >>>> >>>>> Multisim is crap. Use LT Spice, which is better and free. >>>> >>>>Multisim is intuitive and easy to use. LT Spice isn't. >>>> >>> >>> --- >>> Crap gravitates to crap. >>> >>> >> >>I did not realize this is like a Mac vs. PC issue :) > >Multisim is expensive junk, and LT Spice is great software that's >free. Sort of the opposite situation. > >John > >
Not sure what any of that has to do with the op's subject .. Nuts & Volts is a great magazine ... give it a try mike

AINTME wrote:
> > John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in > news:knkke3df0j8fr1100fn856dlmcqdi7rq7i@4ax.com: > > > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:12:07 +0100, Eeyore > > <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > >> > >> > >>John Larkin wrote: > >> > >>> Multisim is crap. Use LT Spice, which is better and free. > >> > >>Multisim is intuitive and easy to use. LT Spice isn't. > >> > > > > --- > > Crap gravitates to crap. > > > > > > I did not realize this is like a Mac vs. PC issue :)
Its not. -- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85. Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

"Matt J. McCullar" <mccullar@flash.net> wrote in news:%bHGi.50308$Um6.4575
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

> _QST_ is still being published as a hold-in-your-hands magazine, by the > ARRL. Your library may carry it, perhaps some newsstands do. They still > have some electronics projects in their issues. > > > >
Never heard of it. Thanks.
"Matt J. McCullar" (mccullar@flash.net) writes:
> _QST_ is still being published as a hold-in-your-hands magazine, by the > ARRL. Your library may carry it, perhaps some newsstands do. They still > have some electronics projects in their issues. >
I thought they decided to take it off newsstand distribution. Traditionally, the only way you could get it was by membership, and I thought via specialty outlets like the local radio store. Then maybe a decade ago, the Board decided to let it loose in general distribution, presumably in part to get amateur radio out there. That experiment didn't seem to go well, because a few years back that stopped happening. I know people commented on it, and I'm sure someone did indeed locate the ARRL board decision to stop that distribution. A lot of those old radio stores are gone now, so it may not be particularly available. You're right, they carry construction articles and those are of varied technical levels. But I suspect it's a tad too dedicated for many, they are looking for more general construction articles and theory, and QST doesn't work that way. Traditionally, I would have told newcomers to get a copy of the ARRL Handbook, because the basic theory chapters apply to all electronics and the chapters on construction and test equipment were fairly useful to all. And maybe most important, for a long time the ARRL Handbook was downright cheap, which meant that even if someone ignored a lot of the radio content, it was still valuable. But nowadays, the cost has risen so high that I wouldn't suggest it to a beginner, unless their interest was in radio (and maybe more important, amateur radio). Too much isn't of interest to the non-radio hobbyist. On the other hand, a new edition comes out every year, with few changes from year to year, so if one can find a used copy, the price starts getting better. An old one might be a pretty available source for those interested in using tubes. Pick one from thirty years ago, and while most references to ICs would be dated, the solid state intro is probably still valid. The less you have to pay, the more valuable it becomes. Michaelk
_QST_ is still being published as a hold-in-your-hands magazine, by the
ARRL.  Your library may carry it, perhaps some newsstands do.  They still
have some electronics projects in their issues.

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 04:26:15 -0500, John Fields
<jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:12:07 +0100, Eeyore ><rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote: > >> >> >>John Larkin wrote: >> >>> Multisim is crap. Use LT Spice, which is better and free. >> >>Multisim is intuitive and easy to use. LT Spice isn't. >> > >--- >Crap gravitates to crap.
Not only is Multisim buggy and expensive, the company morals are interesting. The product used to be called Electronic Workbench, and came with free lifetime upgrades. So they changed the name. John
John Fields wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:12:07 +0100, Eeyore > <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > >John Larkin wrote: > > > >> Multisim is crap. Use LT Spice, which is better and free. > > > >Multisim is intuitive and easy to use. LT Spice isn't. > > > > --- > Crap gravitates to crap.
That's why the mushrooms do so well in his stall. -- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85. Michael A. Terrell Central Florida
On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:12:07 +0100, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > >John Larkin wrote: > >> Multisim is crap. Use LT Spice, which is better and free. > >Multisim is intuitive and easy to use. LT Spice isn't. >
--- Crap gravitates to crap. -- JF