What electronics MAGAZINES are good?

Started by AINTME September 13, 2007
I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.

What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks.
Circuit Cellar is fantastic for embedded stuff: http://www.circuitcellar.com/ The online PDF version is very good value for money. If you are into hobby level stuff then there is Silicon Chip from Australia: http://www.siliconchip.com.au/ Dave.
AINTME (AINTME@home.com) writes:
> I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. > > What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? > > Thanks.
It's more like "what electronic magazines exist today?" SOmeone mentioned Circuit Cellar, but it's a far cry from Popular Electronics. It's more focused on microprocessors and I've never found it interesting enough to want to buy many issues. It just seems less "hobby" than what I'd want. The other US magazine that still exists is Nuts & Volts. And there's now a quarterly from O'Reilly (that publishes all kinds of computer books) called "Make" that is sort of a hobby electronic magazine, but it seems more than just electronics. With so few, you should just go to a newsstand, maybe at this point you may have to hunt for them, and look them over or buy a copy of each. You won't lose much by buying a sample copy, and really, I suspect "good" is a reflection of what you yourself is looking for. When I was a kid, I bought all the magazines, at least initially, though that's when they were fifty cents an issue. I barely buy any magazines these days, the cost has gone so far up and the content you get is limited. After that, you have to look overseas for electronic magazines. Elektor, Practical Everyday Electronics I no longer know what else. I've not seen a copy of the magazine that used to be Wireless World (I can never remember the exact title it changed itself to) in a long time. I'm assuming they still publish, but just aren't carried here. Michael

Are you familiar with Elektor ? http://www.elektor.com/magazines.46742.lynkx Graham
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AINTME@home.com> wrote:

>I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. > >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? > >Thanks.
Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN, Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave Journal. All free. John
Wow... thanks! I just subscribed. (I actually do have a side business: www.acomputerexpert.com). I happened to be in the bookstore last night, getting some space/ planet books for the kids, when I thought, maybe I'll look for Circuit Cellar... this particular Borders Bookstore doesn't carry CC, but has Make. Was looking through it, I couldn't find anything that justified the $14.99 price tag (potato and pumpkin missile launchers don't cut it, sorry). There was a nifty little diy EKG project, but the article mentioned the ADC it needs costs about $50... never mind... Michael
On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:33:35 -0000, mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:

>On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin ><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote: >> >I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. >> >> >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? >> >> >Thanks. >> >> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN, >> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave >> Journal. All free. >> >> John > > >Wow, you were not kidding! > >http://www.edn.com/jumplink.asp?target=http://www.reed4success.com/default.asp?magid=002&promocode=WEA07DW2&sponsor=r4s+EDN > >Free, forever? Or is it a trial subscription?
They'll make you renew annually, by email, which takes about a minute, but otherwise free forever. There are lots more, hundreds maybe, but these are the main electronics ones. There are some software-oriented mags too, RTC and Embedded Systems and such. EE Times is great, but more biz than technology. I don't recall if that's free, too. John
John Larkin <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:33:35 -0000, mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote: > >>On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin >><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote: >>> >I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. >>> >>> >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? >>> >>> >Thanks. >>> >>> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN, >>> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave >>> Journal. All free. >>> >>> John >> >> >>Wow, you were not kidding! >> >>http://www.edn.com/jumplink.asp?target=http://www.reed4success.com/defa >>ult.asp?magid=002&promocode=WEA07DW2&sponsor=r4s+EDN >> >>Free, forever? Or is it a trial subscription? > > They'll make you renew annually, by email, which takes about a minute, > but otherwise free forever. > > There are lots more, hundreds maybe, but these are the main > electronics ones. There are some software-oriented mags too, RTC and > Embedded Systems and such. > > EE Times is great, but more biz than technology. I don't recall if > that's free, too. > > John > >
Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Just as I imagined, there are few "hobby electronics" magazines available as such (the kind with projects, etc) but as I get reacquainted with electronics I am discovering programs such as Mutltisim and some PCB design tools (anybody recommend any?) that I never got to use way back when. There'll be plenty to keep me occupied. Thanks.
On Sep 14, 12:28 am, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
> AINTME (AIN...@home.com) writes: > > I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published. > > > What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend? > > > Thanks. > > It's more like "what electronic magazines exist today?" > > SOmeone mentioned Circuit Cellar, but it's a far cry from Popular > Electronics. It's more focused on microprocessors and I've never > found it interesting enough to want to buy many issues. It just > seems less "hobby" than what I'd want.
Correct, Circuit Cellar is more of a professional level journal targeting embedded designers. it's not really a hobby mag. Dave.