Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Design

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Two Capacitors Are Better Than One
posted by Jason Sachs

Voltage Drops Are Falling on My Head: Operating Points, Linearization, Temperature Coefficients, and Thermal Runaway
posted by Jason Sachs

Optimizing Optoisolators, and Other Stories of Making Do With Less
posted by Jason Sachs

Someday We’ll Find It, The Kelvin Connection
posted by Jason Sachs

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

2N3055 | 8051 | Amplifier | AVR | Battery | Capacitors | Charger | CMOS | Converter | DAC | Decoder | Demodulator | Diode | Ethernet | Flash | FPGA | GPS | I2C | IDE | Laser | LCD | LED | LTSpice | MOSFET | Op-amp | Oscillator | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | PLL | PSpice | PSU | PWM | RFID | RS232 | RS485 | SMPS | Solenoid | Spice | Switcher | TCP/IP | Transformer | Transistor | TTL | USB | VCO | Zener

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

design | BJT hybrid-pi model parameter determination

There are 3 messages in this thread.

BJT hybrid-pi model parameter determination - sert - 2008-11-18 13:47:00

I'm using SwCAD and trying to determine the parameters of the
high-frequency pi-model for the BJT. For convenience, I've
combined the circuit with the BJT and the model in one circuit
so I can combine the graphs as well:

http://i35.tinypic.com/vxf1ad.png

First I used small dc signals to determine the values for rpi,
gm, ro and then I tried to use small ac signals to determine the
values for the capacitors (the values in the model are just
placeholders.) I wasn't able to do so. When I write the nodal
equation for the collector of the BJT and solve for cu using the
small-signal values obtained from the simulation, the value will
always have an imaginary part which is obviously unacceptable.

Is it some limitation of the way SwCAD models the BJT? I don't
think it is a limitation of the model because it is cited in
many books in electronics as a reliable model up to ~100 MHz.

Re: BJT hybrid-pi model parameter determination - Helmut Sennewald - 2008-11-18 14:42:00

"sert" <j...@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm using SwCAD and trying to determine the parameters of the
> high-frequency pi-model for the BJT. For convenience, I've
> combined the circuit with the BJT and the model in one circuit
> so I can combine the graphs as well:
>
> http://i35.tinypic.com/vxf1ad.png
>
> First I used small dc signals to determine the values for rpi,
> gm, ro and then I tried to use small ac signals to determine the
> values for the capacitors (the values in the model are just
> placeholders.) I wasn't able to do so. When I write the nodal
> equation for the collector of the BJT and solve for cu using the
> small-signal values obtained from the simulation, the value will
> always have an imaginary part which is obviously unacceptable.
>
> Is it some limitation of the way SwCAD models the BJT? I don't
> think it is a limitation of the model because it is cited in
> many books in electronics as a reliable model up to ~100 MHz.

Hello,

There are no limitations in LTspice, but in your circuit.
You try to compare apples and oranges.

1. Your BCW60A SPICE-model model has a base resistance RbOhm and
some other parameters you don't have in the pi-model.
2. To be honest, using any transistor with Vbe=2V is useless.

Best regards,
Helmut

Re: BJT hybrid-pi model parameter determination - Wimpie - 2008-11-18 18:56:00

On 18 nov, 19:47, sert <je...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using SwCAD and trying to determine the parameters of the
> high-frequency pi-model for the BJT. For convenience, I've
> combined the circuit with the BJT and the model in one circuit
> so I can combine the graphs as well:
>
> http://i35.tinypic.com/vxf1ad.png
>
> First I used small dc signals to determine the values for rpi,
> gm, ro and then I tried to use small ac signals to determine the
> values for the capacitors (the values in the model are just
> placeholders.) I wasn't able to do so. When I write the nodal
> equation for the collector of the BJT and solve for cu using the
> small-signal values obtained from the simulation, the value will
> always have an imaginary part which is obviously unacceptable.
>
> Is it some limitation of the way SwCAD models the BJT? I don't
> think it is a limitation of the model because it is cited in
> many books in electronics as a reliable model up to ~100 MHz.

Hello Sert,

As Helmut said, you should add an Rbb', otherwise your BJT will have
extremely high maximum oscillation frequency (or very high gain at
RF).

Another point is the diffusion capacitance of the forward biased BE
junction (do not confuse this with the space charge "varicap"
capacitance"). I don't know the DC collector current, but when it is
around 10mA, total Cbe will be higher then 60pF.

In the Gummel Poon model, the "ideal forward transit time (TF)" models
the diffusion capacitance. It is roughly proportional with the
collector current and inversely proportional with the transistor's ft
(Total Cbe = (40*Ic)/(2*pi*ft))

You might also add Ree when you run the transistor at relative high
current.  Try to play with it in the transistor's model to see the
influence on phase shift between base voltage and collector current.

You might add some low pass action between the base and the input of
the VCCS to model frequency depended behavior when you also want to
put Rbb' and Ree' into your pi-model.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS