Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Design

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Two Capacitors Are Better Than One
posted by Jason Sachs

Voltage Drops Are Falling on My Head: Operating Points, Linearization, Temperature Coefficients, and Thermal Runaway
posted by Jason Sachs

Optimizing Optoisolators, and Other Stories of Making Do With Less
posted by Jason Sachs

Someday We’ll Find It, The Kelvin Connection
posted by Jason Sachs

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

2N3055 | 8051 | Amplifier | AVR | Battery | Capacitors | Charger | CMOS | Converter | DAC | Decoder | Demodulator | Diode | Ethernet | Flash | FPGA | GPS | I2C | IDE | Laser | LCD | LED | LTSpice | MOSFET | Op-amp | Oscillator | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | PLL | PSpice | PSU | PWM | RFID | RS232 | RS485 | SMPS | Solenoid | Spice | Switcher | TCP/IP | Transformer | Transistor | TTL | USB | VCO | Zener

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

design | Power supply 230Vac 12V - 24Vdc

There are 2 messages in this thread.

Power supply 230Vac 12V - 24Vdc - Gerard - 2013-03-19 13:01:00

Hello to all.
 I am searching for a multivoltage power supply which are to be mounted on the DIN rail of a cabinet.
What I am actually interested in are 12Vdc and 24Vdc  outputs with an input of 230Vac. The loads I am considering
in my circuit draw about 1 Amp from the 12Vdc source and about  3Amps from the 24Vdc source.
As I am designing a redundant power supply I would need to have 2 Power supplies in parallel so in case one fails
the other takes over so I would also like to know whether the power supplies have an incorporated diode that idealizes this  function.
I am also considering using one of the 12Vdc power supplies  with a dual output for this function.  By connecting the both 12V
 outputs in a series connection I would have my 24Vdc and at the 12V nodes i could power my 12V load.
Another option would be to get the 24Vdc power supply and using a resistive bridge or zener diode lower the voltage to 12Vdc or another integrated
circuit ...however I would have to cope with heating losses and  high wattage extra components.
Could you please advice me on my best options.
I am familiar with TDK Lambda power supplies for DIN Rails. As this is circuit has to always work I would need a reliable and top notch manufacturer.
Thanks in advance.
Gerard

Re: Power supply 230Vac 12V - 24Vdc - Spehro Pefhany - 2013-03-19 14:48:00

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:01:30 -0700 (PDT), Gerard
<e...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello to all.
> I am searching for a multivoltage power supply which are to be mounted on the DIN rail of a cabinet.
>What I am actually interested in are 12Vdc and 24Vdc  outputs with an input of 230Vac. The loads I am considering
>in my circuit draw about 1 Amp from the 12Vdc source and about  3Amps from the 24Vdc source.
>As I am designing a redundant power supply I would need to have 2 Power supplies in parallel so in case one fails
>the other takes over so I would also like to know whether the power supplies have an incorporated diode that idealizes this  function.
>I am also considering using one of the 12Vdc power supplies  with a dual output for this function.  By connecting the both 12V
> outputs in a series connection I would have my 24Vdc and at the 12V nodes i could power my 12V load.
>Another option would be to get the 24Vdc power supply and using a resistive bridge or zener diode lower the voltage to 12Vdc or another integrated
>circuit ...however I would have to cope with heating losses and  high wattage extra components.
>Could you please advice me on my best options.
>I am familiar with TDK Lambda power supplies for DIN Rails. As this is circuit has to always work I would need a reliable and top notch manufacturer.
>Thanks in advance.
>Gerard

Meanwell has some DIN rail supplies. If it really has to always work,
you'll need to find another approach (for example hot swap and
redundancy) than just buying good or expensive supplies because
_everything_ eventually fails, and power supplies will often fail
before other things.