Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Design

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Voltage Drops Are Falling on My Head: Operating Points, Linearization, Temperature Coefficients, and Thermal Runaway
posted by Jason Sachs

Optimizing Optoisolators, and Other Stories of Making Do With Less
posted by Jason Sachs

Someday We’ll Find It, The Kelvin Connection
posted by Jason Sachs

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

March is Oscilloscope Month — and at Tim Scale!
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

2N3055 | 8051 | Amplifier | AVR | Battery | Capacitors | Charger | CMOS | Converter | DAC | Decoder | Demodulator | Diode | Ethernet | Flash | FPGA | GPS | I2C | IDE | Laser | LCD | LED | LTSpice | MOSFET | Op-amp | Oscillator | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | PLL | PSpice | PSU | PWM | RFID | RS232 | RS485 | SMPS | Solenoid | Spice | Switcher | TCP/IP | Transformer | Transistor | TTL | USB | VCO | Zener

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

design | passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband

There are 23 messages in this thread.

passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 10:50:00

Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?

nukey

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - cassiope - 2010-08-02 13:04:00

On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> nukey

How close to 0dB?  What sort of Q (bw/f0)?  What's the load?

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Jim Thompson - 2010-08-02 13:12:00

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
<f...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>passive rc-bandpass filter

Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
poster :-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson

Postings via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups, and
trolls/feeders, are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v6.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Tim Wescott - 2010-08-02 13:21:00

On 08/02/2010 10:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
> <f...@u.washington.edu>  wrote:
>
>> passive rc-bandpass filter
>
> Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
> poster :-)

It depends on how loose your definition is of "bandpass filter".

              ||       ___
   Vin  o-----||---o--|___|---o-----o   Vout
              ||   |          |
                   |          |
                  .-.        ---
                  | |        ---
                  | |         |
                  '-'         |
                   |          |
                   |          |
                  ===        ==                  GND        GND
(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 www.tech-chat.de)

There's a passive RC bandpass filter for you.  It's not a _resonant_
bandpass filter, by any means, but it has a magnitude response that's
zero at f = 0, rises to some maximum, then falls to zero as the
frequency approaches infinity.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Tim Wescott - 2010-08-02 13:23:00

On 08/02/2010 07:50 AM, nukeymusic wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?

Ask your prof?  Review your class notes?

There's some passive RC filter with not too many components that
actually has a bit of voltage gain.  It's usefulness is pretty much
limited to winning bets in University bars, but it's out there.  I can't
even remember if it's bandpass, but if it isn't it may have a bandpass
cousin.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - miso@sushi.com - 2010-08-02 15:54:00

On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> nukey

Can I buy a vowel? Er, make that an inductor....

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 16:06:00

On Aug 2, 7:04 pm, cassiope <f...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> > attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> > nukey
>
> How close to 0dB?  What sort of Q (bw/f0)?  What's the load?

exactly 0dB, unloaded, Q to be determined from the other specifications

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 16:07:00

This configuration won't give 0dB in the passband

On Aug 2, 7:21 pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 10:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
> > <f...@u.washington.edu>  wrote:
>
> >> passive rc-bandpass filter
>
> > Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
> > poster :-)
>
> It depends on how loose your definition is of "bandpass filter".
>
>               ||       ___
>    Vin  o-----||---o--|___|---o-----o   Vout
>               ||   |          |
>                    |          |
>                   .-.        ---
>                   | |        ---
>                   | |         |
>                   '-'         |
>                    |          |
>                    |          |
>                   ===        ===
>                   GND        GND
> (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05www.tech-chat.de)
>
> There's a passive RC bandpass filter for you.  It's not a _resonant_
> bandpass filter, by any means, but it has a magnitude response that's
> zero at f = 0, rises to some maximum, then falls to zero as the
> frequency approaches infinity.
>
> --
>
> Tim Wescott
> Wescott Design Serviceshttp://www.wescottdesign.com
>
> Do you need to implement control loops in software?
> "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written for you.
> See details athttp://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 16:08:00

On Aug 2, 9:54 pm, "m...@sushi.com" <m...@sushi.com> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> > attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> > nukey
>
> Can I buy a vowel? Er, make that an inductor....

no inductors allowed here

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Tim Wescott - 2010-08-02 16:35:00

On 08/02/2010 01:06 PM, nukeymusic wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:04 pm, cassiope<f...@u.washington.edu>  wrote:
>> On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic<nukeymu...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
>>> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>>
>>> nukey
>>
>> How close to 0dB?  What sort of Q (bw/f0)?  What's the load?
>
> exactly 0dB, unloaded, Q to be determined from the other specifications

Q is almost meaningless in this case -- any passive RC bandpass filter
is going to have a damping ratio greater than 1, and the various
definitions of Q only converge for damping ratios much less than one.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services