Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Design

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Someday We’ll Find It, The Kelvin Connection
posted by Jason Sachs

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

March is Oscilloscope Month — and at Tim Scale!
posted by Jason Sachs

Efficiency Through the Looking-Glass
posted by Jason Sachs

How to Estimate Encoder Velocity Without Making Stupid Mistakes: Part II (Tracking Loops and PLLs)
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

2N3055 | 8051 | Amplifier | AVR | Battery | Capacitors | Charger | CMOS | Converter | DAC | Decoder | Demodulator | Diode | Ethernet | Flash | FPGA | GPS | I2C | IDE | Laser | LCD | LED | LTSpice | MOSFET | Op-amp | Oscillator | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | PLL | PSpice | PSU | PWM | RFID | RS232 | RS485 | SMPS | Solenoid | Spice | Switcher | TCP/IP | Transformer | Transistor | TTL | USB | VCO | Zener

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

design | passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband

There are 23 messages in this thread.

passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 10:50:00

Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?

nukey

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - cassiope - 2010-08-02 13:04:00

On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> nukey

How close to 0dB?  What sort of Q (bw/f0)?  What's the load?

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Jim Thompson - 2010-08-02 13:12:00

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
<f...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>passive rc-bandpass filter

Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
poster :-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson

Postings via gmail, yahoo, hotmail, aioe, uar or googlegroups, and
trolls/feeders, are now automatically kill-filed using Agent v6.0

To be white-listed, send request via the E-mail icon on my website

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Tim Wescott - 2010-08-02 13:21:00

On 08/02/2010 10:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
> <f...@u.washington.edu>  wrote:
>
>> passive rc-bandpass filter
>
> Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
> poster :-)

It depends on how loose your definition is of "bandpass filter".

              ||       ___
   Vin  o-----||---o--|___|---o-----o   Vout
              ||   |          |
                   |          |
                  .-.        ---
                  | |        ---
                  | |         |
                  '-'         |
                   |          |
                   |          |
                  ===        ==                  GND        GND
(created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05 www.tech-chat.de)

There's a passive RC bandpass filter for you.  It's not a _resonant_
bandpass filter, by any means, but it has a magnitude response that's
zero at f = 0, rises to some maximum, then falls to zero as the
frequency approaches infinity.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Tim Wescott - 2010-08-02 13:23:00

On 08/02/2010 07:50 AM, nukeymusic wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?

Ask your prof?  Review your class notes?

There's some passive RC filter with not too many components that
actually has a bit of voltage gain.  It's usefulness is pretty much
limited to winning bets in University bars, but it's out there.  I can't
even remember if it's bandpass, but if it isn't it may have a bandpass
cousin.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - miso@sushi.com - 2010-08-02 15:54:00

On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> nukey

Can I buy a vowel? Er, make that an inductor....

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 16:06:00

On Aug 2, 7:04 pm, cassiope <f...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> > attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> > nukey
>
> How close to 0dB?  What sort of Q (bw/f0)?  What's the load?

exactly 0dB, unloaded, Q to be determined from the other specifications

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 16:07:00

This configuration won't give 0dB in the passband

On Aug 2, 7:21 pm, Tim Wescott <t...@seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/2010 10:12 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:04:29 -0700 (PDT), cassiope
> > <f...@u.washington.edu>  wrote:
>
> >> passive rc-bandpass filter
>
> > Key words: passive rc-bandpass filter... an oxymoron, statement and
> > poster :-)
>
> It depends on how loose your definition is of "bandpass filter".
>
>               ||       ___
>    Vin  o-----||---o--|___|---o-----o   Vout
>               ||   |          |
>                    |          |
>                   .-.        ---
>                   | |        ---
>                   | |         |
>                   '-'         |
>                    |          |
>                    |          |
>                   ===        ===
>                   GND        GND
> (created by AACircuit v1.28.6 beta 04/19/05www.tech-chat.de)
>
> There's a passive RC bandpass filter for you.  It's not a _resonant_
> bandpass filter, by any means, but it has a magnitude response that's
> zero at f = 0, rises to some maximum, then falls to zero as the
> frequency approaches infinity.
>
> --
>
> Tim Wescott
> Wescott Design Serviceshttp://www.wescottdesign.com
>
> Do you need to implement control loops in software?
> "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written for you.
> See details athttp://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - nukeymusic - 2010-08-02 16:08:00

On Aug 2, 9:54 pm, "m...@sushi.com" <m...@sushi.com> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic <nukeymu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
> > attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>
> > nukey
>
> Can I buy a vowel? Er, make that an inductor....

no inductors allowed here

Re: passive rc-bandpass with 0dB attenuation in the passband - Tim Wescott - 2010-08-02 16:35:00

On 08/02/2010 01:06 PM, nukeymusic wrote:
> On Aug 2, 7:04 pm, cassiope<f...@u.washington.edu>  wrote:
>> On Aug 2, 7:50 am, nukeymusic<nukeymu...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to make a passive rc-bandpass filter which has 0dB
>>> attenuation in the passband with only 4 components?
>>
>>> nukey
>>
>> How close to 0dB?  What sort of Q (bw/f0)?  What's the load?
>
> exactly 0dB, unloaded, Q to be determined from the other specifications

Q is almost meaningless in this case -- any passive RC bandpass filter
is going to have a damping ratio greater than 1, and the various
definitions of Q only converge for damping ratios much less than one.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services