Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Basics

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Another 10 Circuit Components You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

Short Takes (EE Shanty): What shall we do with a zero-ohm resistor?
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part III: Practical Issues of Inductor and Capacitor Ripple Current
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part II: Ripple Current in the DC Link Capacitor
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part I: Ripple Current in Inductive Loads
posted by Jason Sachs

Isolated Sigma-Delta Modulators, Rah Rah Rah!
posted by Jason Sachs

Oscilloscope review: Hameg HMO2024
posted by Jason Sachs

Have You Ever Seen an Ideal Op-Amp?
posted by Jason Sachs

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

ADC | Amplifier | Antenna | Automobile | Battery | CAD | Charger | Coil | Crystal | Diode | Generator | IDE | Laser | LCD | LTSpice | Modulator | MOSFET | Motor | ne555 | NiMH | Opamp | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | Power Supply | Printer | PSpice | PWM | RS232 | Solder | Soldering | Speakers | Telephone | Transformers | Transistor | TTL | USB

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

basics | How loud is 75 Db.a

There are 29 messages in this thread.

How loud is 75 Db.a - 2007-01-16 08:36:00

I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
Db.a.  How loud is this?  If anyone could give me any exmples of
popular sounds which match this volume i would be greatful.  Would i
require ear protectors?

It would be easier for me to switch the machine on, but i do not have
phase 3 power in the unit i am in.  I will have in the new premises.

Hope someone can help.

Regards,
Anthony

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - Phil Allison - 2007-01-16 08:45:00

<n...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

** Groper alert !

> I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
> Db.a.  How loud is this?

**  Similar to a kitchen blender, electric drill or vacuum cleaner at a few
metres range.

  Kinda annoying to talk over.

......  Phil

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - Don Bruder - 2007-01-16 09:12:00

In article <1...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
 n...@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
> Db.a.  How loud is this?

Quite.

> If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match
> this volume i would be greatful.

Google is your friend.

> Would i  require ear protectors?

Yes.

--
Don Bruder - d...@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - 2007-01-16 09:48:00

Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how
loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to
think of this myself???)

Don Bruder wrote:
> In article <1...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
>  n...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
> > Db.a.  How loud is this?
>
> Quite.
>
> > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match
> > this volume i would be greatful.
>
> Google is your friend.
>
> > Would i  require ear protectors?
>
> Yes.
>
> --
> Don Bruder - d...@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
> or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
> somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my
> ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - Don Bruder - 2007-01-16 10:14:00

In article <1...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
 j...@gmail.com wrote:

<top-post fixed - learn to post correctly, would ya?>

> Don Bruder wrote:
> > In article <1...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> >  n...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
> > > Db.a.  How loud is this?
> >
> > Quite.
> >
> > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match
> > > this volume i would be greatful.
> >
> > Google is your friend.
> >
> > > Would i  require ear protectors?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how
> loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to
> think of this myself???)

He said he doesn't have the right power conenction where he is currently.

--
Don Bruder - d...@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - 2007-01-16 14:53:00

Normal Breathing 10dB...
Soft whisper (at 5m) 30dB...
Normal Conversation 60dB
Busy Traffic 70dB
Average Factory 80dB
Niagra Falls 90dB

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - JeffM - 2007-01-16 15:51:00

number1hatfielder@ hotmail.com wrote:
>...[examples] of popular sounds which match this volume...
> Anthony

http://www.google.com/search?q=intitle:giyf+engine+-jargondb+-Mustang
http://www.google.com/search?q=loudness+decibels+chart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - 2007-01-16 18:04:00

Simply reading my message would tell you that this is not possible.
Did i really have to point THIS out myself?.  No one else had the same
problem.

j...@gmail.com wrote:
> Why don't you turn it on and listen to it??? Maybe you can hear how
> loud it is and then you know how loud 75db is.....(Did I really have to
> think of this myself???)
>

> Don Bruder wrote:
> > In article <1...@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
> >  n...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
> > > Db.a.  How loud is this?
> >
> > Quite.
> >
> > > If anyone could give me any exmples of popular sounds which match
> > > this volume i would be greatful.
> >
> > Google is your friend.
> >
> > > Would i  require ear protectors?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > --
> > Don Bruder - d...@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
> > or the subject of the message doesn't contain the exact text "PopperAndShadow"
> > somewhere, any message sent to this address will go in the garbage without my
> > ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - chuck - 2007-01-16 19:34:00

n...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have purchased an industrial shredder.  The noise it produces is 75
> Db.a.  How loud is this?  If anyone could give me any exmples of
> popular sounds which match this volume i would be greatful.  Would i
> require ear protectors?
>
> It would be easier for me to switch the machine on, but i do not have
> phase 3 power in the unit i am in.  I will have in the new premises.
>
> Hope someone can help.
>
> Regards,
> Anthony

Interesting question, Anthony.

Unfortunately, your question is unanswerable as posed. Suppose you could
measure the sound pressure level of your machine. What do think it would
be? Surely it would depend on how far from the machine you made the
measurement. Across town, you wouldn't be able to detect any sound
pressure from it. The shredder datasheet most likely provides
information on the distance from the machine at which the measurement of
75 dBA was made.

You cannot directly compare 75 dBA from the shredder to a vacuum
cleaner, because in the case of the shredder, the distance at which the
measurement was made has not been given, and in the case of the vacuum
cleaner, neither the sound pressure level, nor the distance at which
that level (if it existed) would have been measured.

What you need in order to answer your question is: dBA of shredder at x
feet and dBA of vacuum cleaner at y feet. With these numbers, you can
then find how much more (or less) loud the shredder is than the vacuum
cleaner when both are at some distance z from you. I think that is what
you are looking for.

If you'd like to see how the math is done, you might check out the
following link:

http://www.engin.umich.edu/class/ioe433/Noise/NoisePbs.pdf
NoisePbs.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Hope that helps.

Chuck

Re: How loud is 75 Db.a - Phil Allison - 2007-01-16 23:19:00

"chuck"

> You cannot directly compare 75 dBA from the shredder to a vacuum cleaner,
> because in the case of the shredder, the distance at which the measurement
> was made has not been given, and in the case of the vacuum cleaner,
> neither the sound pressure level, nor the distance at which that level (if
> it existed) would have been measured.

** Just for fun, I measured my bog standard vacuum cleaner with a Rode SPL
meter.

Distance  -  1.2 metres.

Location  -  my workshop.

The SPL reading  was 74 dBA.