Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Basics

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Two Capacitors Are Better Than One
posted by Jason Sachs

Voltage Drops Are Falling on My Head: Operating Points, Linearization, Temperature Coefficients, and Thermal Runaway
posted by Jason Sachs

Optimizing Optoisolators, and Other Stories of Making Do With Less
posted by Jason Sachs

Someday We’ll Find It, The Kelvin Connection
posted by Jason Sachs

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

ADC | Amplifier | Antenna | Automobile | Battery | CAD | Charger | Coil | Crystal | Diode | Generator | IDE | Laser | LCD | LTSpice | Modulator | MOSFET | Motor | ne555 | NiMH | Opamp | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | Power Supply | Printer | PSpice | PWM | RS232 | Solder | Soldering | Speakers | Telephone | Transformers | Transistor | TTL | USB

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

basics | LTSpice and OpAmp Oscillation

There are 4 messages in this thread.

LTSpice and OpAmp Oscillation - M. Hamed - 2009-05-31 17:22:00

I've built a discrete transistor OpAmp, and when the input was off, I
saw it oscillating. So, I got interested in OpAmp oscillation and
compensation. The main criterion is that a Phase shift of 180 degrees
occur when the loop gain is higher than 1.

I tried to demonstrate that in LTSpice but couldn't. I'm not sure if
it's an LTSpice limitation, or something I'm doing.

I opened up the included exampled circuit for the LM741, and removed
the compensation capacitor. I ran a frequency response and it showed
that around 18 MHz, the phase shift is -180 and the open loop gain is
greater than unity, so connecting it as a follower, the loop gain
should be still greater than unity.

I turned off the AC source and ran simulation expecting it will
oscillate (after all LTSpice can do other types of oscillators). The
circuit failed to oscillate however, no matter what I did. I tried
different things, but in vain, I couldn't get it to oscillate. In fact
at 18 MHz, even the basic follower functionality wasn't working.

I wonder if somebody can comment on this cheesy experiment, and let me
know what's going on? is it me? or LTSpice? or things are just more
complicated than explained in AoE?

Regards,

Re: LTSpice and OpAmp Oscillation - Andrew Holme - 2009-05-31 17:32:00

"M. Hamed" <m...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've built a discrete transistor OpAmp, and when the input was off, I
> saw it oscillating. So, I got interested in OpAmp oscillation and
> compensation. The main criterion is that a Phase shift of 180 degrees
> occur when the loop gain is higher than 1.
>
> I tried to demonstrate that in LTSpice but couldn't. I'm not sure if
> it's an LTSpice limitation, or something I'm doing.
>
> I opened up the included exampled circuit for the LM741, and removed
> the compensation capacitor. I ran a frequency response and it showed
> that around 18 MHz, the phase shift is -180 and the open loop gain is
> greater than unity, so connecting it as a follower, the loop gain
> should be still greater than unity.
>
> I turned off the AC source and ran simulation expecting it will
> oscillate (after all LTSpice can do other types of oscillators). The
> circuit failed to oscillate however, no matter what I did. I tried
> different things, but in vain, I couldn't get it to oscillate. In fact
> at 18 MHz, even the basic follower functionality wasn't working.
>
> I wonder if somebody can comment on this cheesy experiment, and let me
> know what's going on? is it me? or LTSpice? or things are just more
> complicated than explained in AoE?
>
> Regards,

Oscillators sometimes need help to get started in spice.  Leave the AC
source; but try setting Ncycles to a small number.

Re: LTSpice and OpAmp Oscillation - Electronworks.co.uk - 2009-06-01 06:09:00

"Andrew Holme" <a...@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

> "M. Hamed" <m...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've built a discrete transistor OpAmp, and when the input was off, I
>> saw it oscillating. So, I got interested in OpAmp oscillation and
>> compensation. The main criterion is that a Phase shift of 180 degrees
>> occur when the loop gain is higher than 1.
>>
>> I tried to demonstrate that in LTSpice but couldn't. I'm not sure if
>> it's an LTSpice limitation, or something I'm doing.
>>
>> I opened up the included exampled circuit for the LM741, and removed
>> the compensation capacitor. I ran a frequency response and it showed
>> that around 18 MHz, the phase shift is -180 and the open loop gain is
>> greater than unity, so connecting it as a follower, the loop gain
>> should be still greater than unity.
>>
>> I turned off the AC source and ran simulation expecting it will
>> oscillate (after all LTSpice can do other types of oscillators). The
>> circuit failed to oscillate however, no matter what I did. I tried
>> different things, but in vain, I couldn't get it to oscillate. In fact
>> at 18 MHz, even the basic follower functionality wasn't working.
>>
>> I wonder if somebody can comment on this cheesy experiment, and let me
>> know what's going on? is it me? or LTSpice? or things are just more
>> complicated than explained in AoE?
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Oscillators sometimes need help to get started in spice.  Leave the AC
> source; but try setting Ncycles to a small number.

Oscillators need noise to get them going. Some basic SPICE packages do not
include the noise sources, so your SPICE circuit will just sit there and
sulk.

--
Bill Naylor
www.electronworks.co.uk

Re: LTSpice and OpAmp Oscillation - Kevin Aylward - 2009-08-05 09:36:00

M. Hamed wrote:
> I've built a discrete transistor OpAmp, and when the input was off, I
> saw it oscillating. So, I got interested in OpAmp oscillation and
> compensation. The main criterion is that a Phase shift of 180 degrees
> occur when the loop gain is higher than 1.

Not strictly correct. This is a necessary condition, but not sufficient. In
most cases it is correct.

> I tried to demonstrate that in LTSpice but couldn't. I'm not sure if
> it's an LTSpice limitation, or something I'm doing.
>
> I opened up the included exampled circuit for the LM741, and removed
> the compensation capacitor. I ran a frequency response and it showed
> that around 18 MHz, the phase shift is -180 and the open loop gain is
> greater than unity, so connecting it as a follower, the loop gain
> should be still greater than unity.
>
> I turned off the AC source and ran simulation expecting it will
> oscillate (after all LTSpice can do other types of oscillators). The
> circuit failed to oscillate however, no matter what I did. I tried
> different things, but in vain, I couldn't get it to oscillate. In fact
> at 18 MHz, even the basic follower functionality wasn't working.
>
> I wonder if somebody can comment on this cheesy experiment, and let me
> know what's going on? is it me? or LTSpice? or things are just more
> complicated than explained in AoE?

Switch on the power supply with a pulse of 0 to Vsupply to get any
oscilllations started.

Kevin Aylward
SuperSpice
www.anasoft.co.uk