Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Basics

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

March is Oscilloscope Month — and at Tim Scale!
posted by Jason Sachs

Efficiency Through the Looking-Glass
posted by Jason Sachs

How to Estimate Encoder Velocity Without Making Stupid Mistakes: Part II (Tracking Loops and PLLs)
posted by Jason Sachs

Another 10 Circuit Components You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

Short Takes (EE Shanty): What shall we do with a zero-ohm resistor?
posted by Jason Sachs

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

ADC | Amplifier | Antenna | Automobile | Battery | CAD | Charger | Coil | Crystal | Diode | Generator | IDE | Laser | LCD | LTSpice | Modulator | MOSFET | Motor | ne555 | NiMH | Opamp | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | Power Supply | Printer | PSpice | PWM | RS232 | Solder | Soldering | Speakers | Telephone | Transformers | Transistor | TTL | USB

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

basics | Substituting Lexmark's No 4 and 5 Cartridges

There are 4 messages in this thread.

Substituting Lexmark's No 4 and 5 Cartridges - species8350 - 2009-01-05 08:01:00

Hi,

Lexmark's cartridges are expensive.

Has anyone found other cartridges that will fit and run the Z 2390
printer?

Thanks

Ps. Am I right in thinking that substitute cartridges would need a
universal printer driver? I suppose the original driver just might
work?

Re: Substituting Lexmark's No 4 and 5 Cartridges - Peter Bennett - 2009-01-05 11:33:00

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 05:01:28 -0800 (PST), species8350
<n...@xoxy.net> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Lexmark's cartridges are expensive.
>
>Has anyone found other cartridges that will fit and run the Z 2390
>printer?
>
>Thanks
>
>Ps. Am I right in thinking that substitute cartridges would need a
>universal printer driver? I suppose the original driver just might
>work?

Ink cartridges for different printers vary in all possible ways: size.
shape, connections, with or without printhead, etc...

It is likely that the cartridges for your Z2390 will only fit that
family of Lexmark printers.  They probably won't fit all Lexmark
models, and definitely won't fit other makes.

Staples Office Supplies and others may have cartridges under their own
name for that printer, somewhat less expensive than a True Lexmark
cartridge.  These substitute cartridges should work with the printer's
normal drivers.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Re: Substituting Lexmark's No 4 and 5 Cartridges - 2009-01-05 18:39:00

On Jan 5, 5:01 am, species8350 <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lexmark's cartridges are expensive.
>
> Has anyone found other cartridges that will fit and run the Z 2390
> printer?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ps. Am I right in thinking that substitute cartridges would need a
> universal printer driver? I suppose the original driver just might
> work?

Beware that some of the newer Lexmark printers have some sort of
refill sensing technology so that they refuse to work if refilled.

We learned that the hard way, and ended up getting a used HP Deskjet
for a family member after we got him a new Lexmark.

Michael

Re: Substituting Lexmark's No 4 and 5 Cartridges - species8350 - 2009-01-05 20:26:00

On Jan 5, 11:39 pm, mrdarr...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 5, 5:01 am, species8350 <not_here.5.species8...@xoxy.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Lexmark's cartridges are expensive.
>
> > Has anyone found other cartridges that will fit and run the Z 2390
> > printer?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Ps. Am I right in thinking that substitute cartridges would need a
> > universal printer driver? I suppose the original driver just might
> > work?
>
> Beware that some of the newer Lexmark printers have some sort of
> refill sensing technology so that they refuse to work if refilled.
>
> We learned that the hard way, and ended up getting a used HP Deskjet
> for a family member after we got him a new Lexmark.
>
> Michael

Thanks for the responses.

Regarding the sensor, evidently there are ways around the problem.
Hope I don't have to find out, but I probably will.

Best wishes