Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Basics

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Two Capacitors Are Better Than One
posted by Jason Sachs

Voltage Drops Are Falling on My Head: Operating Points, Linearization, Temperature Coefficients, and Thermal Runaway
posted by Jason Sachs

Optimizing Optoisolators, and Other Stories of Making Do With Less
posted by Jason Sachs

Someday We’ll Find It, The Kelvin Connection
posted by Jason Sachs

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

ADC | Amplifier | Antenna | Automobile | Battery | CAD | Charger | Coil | Crystal | Diode | Generator | IDE | Laser | LCD | LTSpice | Modulator | MOSFET | Motor | ne555 | NiMH | Opamp | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | Power Supply | Printer | PSpice | PWM | RS232 | Solder | Soldering | Speakers | Telephone | Transformers | Transistor | TTL | USB

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

basics | Storage trays for electronic components

There are 6 messages in this thread.

Storage trays for electronic components - Hamad bin Turki al Salami - 2008-04-26 19:56:00

I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components that I
buy and sell, including various kinds of unusual memory simms and
processors. I want to be able to keep them organized in trays that
I can store and display.

I was thinking of using compartmented wooden trays for this, but I
haven't found any with compartments that are the right size (at least
4.25 inches or so for memory simms).

There are trays that people use for displaying watches, bracelets,
etc. that have the right sized compartments, but they're usually
made of other materials, like velvet, velveteen, plastic, etc.

I'm not sure which of these materials is safe for ESD sensitive
devices.

Any opinions or ideas?

Thanks

Re: Storage trays for electronic components - JeffM - 2008-04-26 20:20:00

Hamad bin Turki al Salami wrote:
>I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components[...]
>I want to be able to keep them organized in trays
>that I can store and display.

Jameco still sells these
http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco

Re: Storage trays for electronic components - Hamad bin Turki al Salami - 2008-04-27 00:48:00

JeffM wrote:
> Hamad bin Turki al Salami wrote:
>> I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components[...]
>> I want to be able to keep them organized in trays
>> that I can store and display.
>
> Jameco still sells these
> http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco

That would be perfect, except that it seems to be too small. The
compartments are only big enough for a 16 pin DIP. For a 72 pin
simm, I need compartments that are more than 4 inches long.

Re: Storage trays for electronic components - Michael A. Terrell - 2008-04-27 01:38:00

Hamad bin Turki al Salami wrote:

> JeffM wrote:
> >
> > Jameco still sells these
> > http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco
>
> That would be perfect, except that it seems to be too small. The
> compartments are only big enough for a 16 pin DIP. For a 72 pin
> simm, I need compartments that are more than 4 inches long.

   Use small to medium sized anti static bags, and keep those in
cardboard boxes.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Re: Storage trays for electronic components - Paul E. Schoen - 2008-04-27 01:40:00

"Hamad bin Turki al Salami" <h...@no.me.spam> wrote in message
> JeffM wrote:
>> Hamad bin Turki al Salami wrote:
>>> I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components[...]
>>> I want to be able to keep them organized in trays
>>> that I can store and display.
>>
>> Jameco still sells these
>> http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco
>
> That would be perfect, except that it seems to be too small. The
> compartments are only big enough for a 16 pin DIP. For a 72 pin
> simm, I need compartments that are more than 4 inches long.

I have found that index card (3" x 5") files work well for storage of small
parts. I put SMT components in coin envelopes, which are easy to label and
inexpensive. Also, such card files can often be found very cheap or free,
at places like libraries that are converting to computerized indexes. If
you can find some cassette tape cases, they might be about the right size
for your components. You can use aluminum foil to wrap the components for
static protection.

Paul

Re: Storage trays for electronic components - Rich Webb - 2008-04-27 08:39:00

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 22:48:14 -0600, Hamad bin Turki al Salami
<h...@no.me.spam> wrote:

>JeffM wrote:
>> Hamad bin Turki al Salami wrote:
>>> I have a few dozen kinds of expensive electronic components[...]
>>> I want to be able to keep them organized in trays
>>> that I can store and display.
>>
>> Jameco still sells these
>> http://www.google.com/images?q=bug.box+compartments+Jameco
>
>That would be perfect, except that it seems to be too small. The
>compartments are only big enough for a 16 pin DIP. For a 72 pin
>simm, I need compartments that are more than 4 inches long.

The Bug Box system also includes trays without partitions. I got a set
from Jameco ages ago but they don't seem to carry them now. One place
that does is http://elexp.com/ics_tray.htm

A size up https://webvia.techni-tool.com/VIA/index.jsp

Or super-sized
<http://www.all-spec.com/1/viewitem/QSC48SCON/ALLSPEC/prodinfo/w3pathÊt>