Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Basics

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Two Capacitors Are Better Than One
posted by Jason Sachs

Voltage Drops Are Falling on My Head: Operating Points, Linearization, Temperature Coefficients, and Thermal Runaway
posted by Jason Sachs

Optimizing Optoisolators, and Other Stories of Making Do With Less
posted by Jason Sachs

Someday We’ll Find It, The Kelvin Connection
posted by Jason Sachs

10 Items of Test Equipment You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

First-Order Systems: The Happy Family
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part IV: DC Link Decoupling and Why Electrolytic Capacitors Are Not Enough
posted by Jason Sachs

April is Oscilloscope Month: In Which We Discover Agilent Offers Us a Happy Deal and a Sad Name
posted by Jason Sachs

Specifying the Maximum Amplifier Noise When Driving an ADC
posted by Rick Lyons

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

ADC | Amplifier | Antenna | Automobile | Battery | CAD | Charger | Coil | Crystal | Diode | Generator | IDE | Laser | LCD | LTSpice | Modulator | MOSFET | Motor | ne555 | NiMH | Opamp | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | Power Supply | Printer | PSpice | PWM | RS232 | Solder | Soldering | Speakers | Telephone | Transformers | Transistor | TTL | USB

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

basics | Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set

There are 21 messages in this thread.

Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - Dave.H - 2008-03-09 20:03:00

I've been looking at a number of simple crystal radio designs, and
I've found the Australian mystery crystal set, and am interested in
building that, mainly because it's an Australian design, and I've
heard it it's a pretty good performer. I only have 2 questions- can I
substitute the detector for a 1N34? and what is  double silk covered
wire and do I really have use that?  What's wrong with regular coil
wire? I can only find 23 SWG, 25 SWG, and 33 SWG where I need 24 SWG,
30 SWG.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - Dave.H - 2008-03-09 20:22:00

On Mar 10, 11:03 am, "Dave.H" <the19...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking at a number of simple crystal radio designs, and
> I've found the Australian mystery crystal set, and am interested in
> building that, mainly because it's an Australian design, and I've
> heard it it's a pretty good performer. I only have 2 questions- can I
> substitute the detector for a 1N34? and what is  double silk covered
> wire and do I really have use that?  What's wrong with regular coil
> wire? I can only find 23 SWG, 25 SWG, and 33 SWG where I need 24 SWG,
> 30 SWG.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

Forgot to give the schematic
http://www.clarion.org.au/crystalset/mystery.html

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - Jamie - 2008-03-09 20:40:00

Dave.H wrote:

> I've been looking at a number of simple crystal radio designs, and
> I've found the Australian mystery crystal set, and am interested in
> building that, mainly because it's an Australian design, and I've
> heard it it's a pretty good performer. I only have 2 questions- can I
> substitute the detector for a 1N34? and what is  double silk covered
> wire and do I really have use that?  What's wrong with regular coil
> wire? I can only find 23 SWG, 25 SWG, and 33 SWG where I need 24 SWG,
> 30 SWG.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0055/t.5708.html
   Read that, it's interesing., don't know if it'll
help you how ever. I'm guessing that if you used enamel
wire you would be fine for what you're doing.
--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - Eeyore - 2008-03-09 20:45:00

"Dave.H" wrote:

> what is  double silk covered wire

It's wire insulated with silk.

> and do I really have use that?

Not unless you want it to be 'period authentic'.

Graham

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - Dave.H - 2008-03-09 20:49:00

On Mar 10, 11:45 am, Eeyore <rabbitsfriendsandrelati...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> "Dave.H" wrote:
> > what is  double silk covered wire
>
> It's wire insulated with silk.
>
> > and do I really have use that?
>
> Not unless you want it to be 'period authentic'.
>
> Graham

Not really, I'm building it on a metal chassis (coil mounted above,
vertically) and don't really care about vintage looks. I can't seem to
find wire of the right diameter, though, that's the only part I've yet
to find.

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - Don Bowey - 2008-03-09 21:00:00

On 3/9/08 5:03 PM, in article
b...@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com, "Dave.H"
<t...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I've been looking at a number of simple crystal radio designs, and
> I've found the Australian mystery crystal set, and am interested in
> building that, mainly because it's an Australian design, and I've
> heard it it's a pretty good performer. I only have 2 questions- can I
> substitute the detector for a 1N34? and what is  double silk covered
> wire and do I really have use that?  What's wrong with regular coil
> wire? I can only find 23 SWG, 25 SWG, and 33 SWG where I need 24 SWG,
> 30 SWG.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

That's a great looking radio.

Use 23 or 25 or whatever is handy.  The significant difference between
cotton covered and enamel covered wires is that cotton spaces the wires a
little farther apart than will the enamel, and it will take slightly more
cotton covered wire to lay on the same number of turns as the enamel wire.
Bottom line is, the two coils would have slightly difference inductive
reactance.  The turns count is probably a swag anyhow, and it's the reason
most xtal sets using wound coils, put on lots of turns with taps so the
range of tuning can be easily changed (hint, hint).

I don't know what a really good replacement for the 1N34 would be.  I'd look
for a Hot Carrier diode if nobody comes up with a part number.  From an
occasionally defective memory, I think the 1N82 may be one.

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian MysteryCrystal Set - Phil Allison - 2008-03-09 21:04:00

"Donald Duck  Bowey"

>> I only have 2 questions- can I
>> substitute the detector for a 1N34?
>

> I don't know what a really good replacement for the 1N34 would be.

**  Try reading the damn question  -  fuckwit.

.......   Phil

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian MysteryCrystal Set - Don Bowey - 2008-03-09 21:48:00

On 3/9/08 6:04 PM, in article 6...@mid.individual.net, "Phil
Allison" <p...@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> "Donald Duck  Bowey"
>
>>> I only have 2 questions- can I
>>> substitute the detector for a 1N34?
>>

>> I don't know what a really good replacement for the 1N34 would be.
>

> **  Try reading the damn question  -  fuckwit.

Sorry grampa.  I'll try to do better next time.

If you keep using those naughty words I'm going to tell on you.

> .......   Phil

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - ehsjr - 2008-03-10 02:03:00

Dave.H wrote:
> I've been looking at a number of simple crystal radio designs, and
> I've found the Australian mystery crystal set, and am interested in
> building that, mainly because it's an Australian design, and I've
> heard it it's a pretty good performer. I only have 2 questions- can I
> substitute the detector for a 1N34? and what is  double silk covered
> wire and do I really have use that?  What's wrong with regular coil
> wire? I can only find 23 SWG, 25 SWG, and 33 SWG where I need 24 SWG,
> 30 SWG.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave

You can use regular coil wire of whatever size you
can get that is close, and the 1N34 is fine as the
detector.

Ed

Re: Questions About Construction Of The Australian Mystery Crystal Set - Eeyore - 2008-03-10 02:53:00

"Dave.H" wrote:

> can I substitute the detector for a 1N34?

You might do rather well with a zero bias schottky diode.

Failing that, any germamium point-contact type (like the 1N34) would be a
decent sub.

Graham