Sign in

Not a member? | Forgot your Password?

Search Sci.Electronics.Basics

Search tips

Recent Blogs on Electronics-Related

Another 10 Circuit Components You Should Know
posted by Jason Sachs

Short Takes (EE Shanty): What shall we do with a zero-ohm resistor?
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part III: Practical Issues of Inductor and Capacitor Ripple Current
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part II: Ripple Current in the DC Link Capacitor
posted by Jason Sachs

Lost Secrets of the H-Bridge, Part I: Ripple Current in Inductive Loads
posted by Jason Sachs

Isolated Sigma-Delta Modulators, Rah Rah Rah!
posted by Jason Sachs

Oscilloscope review: Hameg HMO2024
posted by Jason Sachs

Have You Ever Seen an Ideal Op-Amp?
posted by Jason Sachs

BGA and QFP at Home 1 - A Practical Guide.
posted by Victor Yurkovsky

3 LEDs powered by fingers - puzzle
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Series circuit - 3 LEDs
posted by Henryk Gasperowicz

Video: The PN Junction. How Diodes Work?
posted by Stephane Boucher

Two jobs
posted by Stephane Boucher

ADC | Amplifier | Antenna | Automobile | Battery | CAD | Charger | Coil | Crystal | Diode | Generator | IDE | Laser | LCD | LTSpice | Modulator | MOSFET | Motor | ne555 | NiMH | Opamp | Oscilloscope | PCB | PID | Power Supply | Printer | PSpice | PWM | RS232 | Solder | Soldering | Speakers | Telephone | Transformers | Transistor | TTL | USB

See Also

DSPEmbedded SystemsFPGA

basics | What electronics MAGAZINES are good?

There are 28 messages in this thread.

What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - AINTME - 2007-09-13 00:53:00

I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.

What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?

Thanks.

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - David L. Jones - 2007-09-13 01:56:00

On Sep 13, 2:53 pm, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote:
> I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>
> What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?
>
> Thanks.

Circuit Cellar is fantastic for embedded stuff:
http://www.circuitcellar.com/
The online PDF version is very good value for money.

If you are into hobby level stuff then there is Silicon Chip from
Australia:
http://www.siliconchip.com.au/

Dave.

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - Michael Black - 2007-09-13 10:28:00

AINTME (A...@home.com) writes:
> I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>
> What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?
>
> Thanks.

It's more like "what electronic magazines exist today?"

SOmeone mentioned Circuit Cellar, but it's a far cry from Popular
Electronics.  It's more focused on microprocessors and I've never
found it interesting enough to want to buy many issues.  It just
seems less "hobby" than what I'd want.

The other US magazine that still exists is Nuts & Volts.

And there's now a quarterly from O'Reilly (that publishes all
kinds of computer books) called "Make" that is sort of a hobby
electronic magazine, but it seems more than just electronics.

With so few, you should just go to a newsstand, maybe at this
point you may have to hunt for them, and look them over or buy
a copy of each.  You won't lose much by buying a sample copy, and
really, I suspect "good" is a reflection of what you yourself
is looking for.

When I was a kid, I bought all the magazines, at least initially,
though that's when they were fifty cents an issue.  I barely buy
any magazines these days, the cost has gone so far up and the content
you get is limited.

After that, you have to look overseas for electronic magazines.
Elektor, Practical Everyday Electronics I no longer know what else.
I've not seen a copy of the magazine that used to be Wireless World (I
can never remember the exact title it changed itself to) in a long time.
I'm assuming they still publish, but just aren't carried here.

   Michael

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - Eeyore - 2007-09-13 10:39:00

AINTME wrote:

> I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>
> What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?

Are you familiar with Elektor ?
http://www.elektor.com/magazines.46742.lynkx

Graham

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - John Larkin - 2007-09-13 11:21:00

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <A...@home.com> wrote:

>I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>
>What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?
>
>Thanks.

Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN,
Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave
Journal. All free.

John

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - 2007-09-13 11:33:00

On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote:
> >I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>
> >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN,
> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave
> Journal. All free.
>
> John

Wow, you were not kidding!

http://www.edn.com/jumplink.asp?target=http://www.reed4success.com/default.asp?magid2&promocode=WEA07DW2&sponsor=r4s+EDN

Free, forever?  Or is it a trial subscription?

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - 2007-09-13 11:41:00

On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin
<jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote:
> >I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>
> >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?
>
> >Thanks.
>
> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN,
> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave
> Journal. All free.
>
> John

Wow... thanks!  I just subscribed.  (I actually do have a side
business:  www.acomputerexpert.com).

I happened to be in the bookstore last night, getting some space/
planet books for the kids, when I thought, maybe I'll look for Circuit
Cellar... this particular Borders Bookstore doesn't carry CC, but has
Make.  Was looking through it, I couldn't find anything that justified
the $14.99 price tag (potato and pumpkin missile launchers don't cut
it, sorry).  There was a nifty little diy EKG project, but the article
mentioned the ADC it needs costs about $50... never mind...

Michael

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - John Larkin - 2007-09-13 11:58:00

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:33:35 -0000, m...@gmail.com wrote:

>On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin
><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:53:14 GMT, AINTME <AIN...@home.com> wrote:
>> >I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>>
>> >What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?
>>
>> >Thanks.
>>
>> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN,
>> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave
>> Journal. All free.
>>
>> John
>

>Wow, you were not kidding!
>
>http://www.edn.com/jumplink.asp?target=http://www.reed4success.com/default.asp?magid2&promocode=WEA07DW2&sponsor=r4s+EDN
>
>Free, forever?  Or is it a trial subscription?

They'll make you renew annually, by email, which takes about a minute,
but otherwise free forever.

There are lots more, hundreds maybe, but these are the main
electronics ones. There are some software-oriented mags too, RTC and
Embedded Systems and such.

EE Times is great, but more biz than technology. I don't recall if
that's free, too.

John

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - AINTME - 2007-09-13 20:58:00

John Larkin <j...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 15:33:35 -0000, m...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On Sep 13, 8:21 am, John Larkin
>><jjlar...@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>>> Make up a company name and subscribe to the professional mags: EDN,
>>> Electronics Design, Microwaves&RF, Electronic Products, Microwave
>>> Journal. All free.
>>>
>>> John
>>

>>Wow, you were not kidding!
>>
>>http://www.edn.com/jumplink.asp?target=http://www.reed4success.com/defa
>>ult.asp?magid2&promocode=WEA07DW2&sponsor=r4s+EDN
>>
>>Free, forever?  Or is it a trial subscription?
>
> They'll make you renew annually, by email, which takes about a minute,
> but otherwise free forever.
>
> There are lots more, hundreds maybe, but these are the main
> electronics ones. There are some software-oriented mags too, RTC and
> Embedded Systems and such.
>
> EE Times is great, but more biz than technology. I don't recall if
> that's free, too.
>
> John

Thank you guys for all the suggestions. Just as I imagined, there are few
"hobby electronics" magazines available as such (the kind with projects,
etc) but as I get reacquainted with electronics I am discovering programs
such as Mutltisim and some PCB design tools (anybody recommend any?) that
I never got to use way back when. There'll be plenty to keep me occupied.
Thanks.

Re: What electronics MAGAZINES are good? - David L. Jones - 2007-09-13 22:43:00

On Sep 14, 12:28 am, et...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Michael Black) wrote:
> AINTME (AIN...@home.com) writes:
> > I used to collect Popular Electronics which is no longer published.
>
> > What magazines are available now? Which ones would you recommend?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> It's more like "what electronic magazines exist today?"
>
> SOmeone mentioned Circuit Cellar, but it's a far cry from Popular
> Electronics.  It's more focused on microprocessors and I've never
> found it interesting enough to want to buy many issues.  It just
> seems less "hobby" than what I'd want.

Correct, Circuit Cellar is more of a professional level journal
targeting embedded designers. it's not really a hobby mag.

Dave.